Monday, April 27, 2009

Parenting, Neurotypical and Otherwise

{{Potd/2006-08-30 (en)}}Image via Wikipedia

Week #2 of CAP Cadet program. Diver is on his own, and Anonymom is marking time in a coffee shop. (Well, marking time is what she was doing until she plugged in her headphones and played Dawn Upshaw Sings Rogers and Hart.)

As Diver and I drove from one end of the metro to the other, I was feeling a bit holy about my willingness to drive so far for my child's activity. And I flashed back to my parents' schlepping me (and my three sibs) to ballet and drama and scouts and voice and piano and baton and .....you name it. There wasn't a night when there wasn't driving. I do it once and feel holy. Puh-lease.

Dawn and I are one hour into this (meaning the cadets have drilled and are now re-convening for education). I'll head back to the base in about 40 minutes and arrive as the Cadets are having their closing flag ceremony (Standing at attention! Saluting!) Its a good thing I'm not there watching because I'm laughing just thinking about it.

And that's a good thing. I don't laugh much. My heart is not often light. So maybe the Civil Air Patrol is good for me. Maybe CAP stand for something else: Carefree Autism Parenting.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. I love the new acronym! I get a little CAP when my kids visit their dad in the summer. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete