Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Different Yardstick

1. Mark on the yardstick:
For a kid who loves pyrotechnics, Diver has always been nervous about the flame on the stove. So yesterday, when he informed me that I had left the teakettle burning on the stove and that he had handled it single-handedly, I was delighted.  "I turned off the stove, got a potholder, cooled off the kettle in the sink, opened the window, and Mom, don't leave the house with the kettle on," said the kid who freaks out when a watched pot boils.  

2.  Mark on the yardstick:
When your son's therapist sees him in an LD (learning disorder, i.e. ADD, ADHD, LD-NOS, dyslexic) setting instead of an ASD setting.  And that happened today.  "Anonymom, Diver has come so far and really outpaced the other kids in his program.  Typically the LD school doesn't take ASD kids, but Diver is in great shape."

Happy yardstick.




6 comments:

  1. New to your blog - but wow, that sounds great about Diver! "Mark on the yardstick" - I like that way of thinking about those big-small steps of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to your blog as well. I didn't know there was a world of autie-mama bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I love those moments of progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "... and Mom, don't leave the house with the kettle on" -- You can just hear the pride in his words. I imagine he felt very empowered.

    However, I have to tell you that when they start chastising you, it means they are officially teenagers, Anonymom. Be prepared: Teens know everything, and their moms are idiots, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Moms," quoth Diver, "Can't live with them. Can't live without them."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the yardstick analogy. And those are both exciting marks! Thanks for visiting my blog today, and best wishes to you and Diver.

    ReplyDelete