Sunday, August 21, 2011

Watch and listen and love

Autism spectrumImage via WikipediaLast time I posted was 7 weeks ago when he went off to camp.
Today he's coming home.
I am one of the lucky auti-moms. With a diagnosis of Aspergers syndrome, my kid was at a place on the autism spectrum where his chance to thrive where greater; and, we found people, places and things that have enabled him to thrive.
So as he journeys home from Camp Kodiak in north-of-nowhere Ontario, I prepare myself as best I can for what's ahead. Whatever that is. Kodiak has been the best thing we've ever done for him and he comes home hugely changed. I'll have to watch and listen carefully to see who he is and what he needs now. In other words (I know this is not the first time I've written this), I have to grow as he does. I can't welcome him home from the camp the same way I did when he was 11 or 12 or 13 or even 14. He's a man now, a young man. He may be my boy, but I can't treat him like one.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment