Monday, January 4, 2010

Back off, Mom

Model of hydogen bonds in water in English.Image via Wikipedia

These are my marching orders.
It is time for me to back off. I no longer have to paddle 24/7 to keep my son with Asperger's Syndrome above water.
He can swim now.
This is not to say that there won't be some swift current, a shark, or undertow that could pull him off course. There will be. But now he has the skills and maturity to navigate.
I'll still be his mother and I'll still parent him -- but I have to do it differently. And that means backing off.
So off I back. I don't know what's back there. I don't know what's ahead.
We're sailing off to a new world.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. They seem to have this innate sense of knowing when they're ready. I still get goosebumps remembering the first time, just last year, when Nigel said to me, "I can handle it, Mom."

    ReplyDelete