Thursday, September 17, 2009

Another Day in Paradise

FORT RILEY, KS - AUGUST 13:   Soldiers in the ...Image by Getty Images via Daylife

"That's what Kevin and I kept repeating today," reports Diver.

But Kevin is a paraprofessional and is paid to be there.

Yes, another day coping with violent-chaos-meltdowns in the classroom. And with a safe space to retreat to, Diver now feels safe in the building, 'tho not in class.

Today's festivities included one student attacking another. Teacher hit by flying book. Two students in physical alteration.

Diver is coping and the team has met and discussed transition to a new school, but to his list of physical stress symptoms (stammering, tic, stress eating) is a newbie, nausea.

Yet, God bless him, he mustered his strength and moxie to go to his funjoyment social skills group tonight.

"You are the strongest boy I know." I said to Diver.

"I know," he replied.

Diver's been asking me to change his name to Elmer Fudd. Today's the day. He earned it.
Elmer, it is.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

  1. Elmer's resilience is amazing. I hope the stress eases quickly and that his transition goes well.

    ReplyDelete