Friday, January 8, 2021

All grown up

 Well, hello there.  Long time -- seven years, to be exact -- no see.

Seven years in which so much has happened, I cannot begin to tell you; but I can tell you what brought me here today.  An Instagram post by the young man formerly known as Diver.

That this young man, formerly so beset by his challenges that I called him a "prisoner of his autism", is now a fully functioning, independent member of society in his last year in college, where he won a faculty scholarship and serves as a student leader, working a challenging job in his field, cooking, baking, building his own computer, reading, setting  yearly reading goals, and Instagraming about it. 

When Diver was 8, newly diagnosed and still not reading, I asked the Special Education teacher if Diver would ever read.  He shrugged and said, "I don't know."

It is miraculous. You have only to read this blog from the beginning to understand this.  


The age of miracles is still with us.  And my son is one of those miracles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment